Monday, March 25, 2013

Victorian Texting Mitts, and a Vest for a baby boy

Good Morning! After a lovely rainy Sunday spent on the couch with my hubby I have a new project to present. These took me about three days to work on. It could have taken about a day to complete, but I had to take breaks. I came across this pattern on Ravelry and thought they would be perfect for my sister. My sister is a little visually impaired and growing up she hated wearing gloves and arm warmers with the frilly piece that covered her fingers. These Victorian texting mitts seemed perfect, and met all the "Corttani" check points! They are tight around the knuckles, but decorative enough to not look like she's wearing fingerless oven mitts while still keeping her warm. The ribbon and button accent give it a nice touch, but it's mostly for contrast and so she can tell the left one from the right.

 Last night I came across the very thing I've been looking for! For months I've had luck making things for little girls, but crochet clothing for baby boys are not easy to find. I tried making a button up vest, but it was a little off. The pattern was in UK terms so after translating it (and pulling out a lot of hair in frustration!), and ripping out half the project twice I finished the core vest part only to have it come out looking like it would fit a mutant toddler (pattern says 0-3 months). The width would fit a toddler but the length went from the top of my jeans to my shoulder, and I'm a 23 year old girl! I followed the pattern exactly as she wrote it, and I even tried it with shorter stitches i.e. a single crochet instead of a double. After scrapping it, and chalking it up to a learning experience you can imagine my excitement when I came across this little thing! It's crochet, but looks kind of knitted in the pictures on the blog. So that's my new project right now...even though I was burned by the other vest I will try again! So I'm gonna watch last nights episode of Vikings and try this out. Hopefully this goes well...wish me luck! Ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment